Photograph restoration

The engine rebuild

Well winter came on and any work outside was stopped so the engine was brought inside to be rebuilt. I had already decided to convert the engine to unleaded by fitting a set of new unleaded heads.
Overall the engine was pretty good though somewhat tatty, the only obvious problems were that the entire thermostat system was missing including the bracket and tinware underneath the thermostat.
I carefully started removing all ancillaries from the engine and inspected as I went along, I stripped down as far as the block, barrels and heads and started servicing the ancillary parts.

Generator was in good condidtion though it benefited from a strip down and clean.

Start motor was again in good condition even with the mass of mud and rocks attached to it.
Nevertheless it was completely stripped, cleaned and rebuilt. I sealed the joints and gave it a nice coat of primer and paint

I replaced all of the tinwear as it was is a terrible condition
The thermostat system was made up from parts that Andy Gray (thanks again Andy) had from another engine he had, this included the most important part, the flaps and linkages. The rest was bought new from my friendly VW dealer.

The carb was cleaned up and checked, it seemed in pretty good condition though it is not stock, someone had fitted a Weber in the past but I am not too worried as they are extreemly good carbs being easy to service and very reliable.
The fuel pump was cleaned up, I will get hold of a spare pump as I know these are a bit prone to leaking and are a bit of a fire hazard when in bad condition.

Now came the time to strip the engine down to the block, I removed the heads, barrels and pistons, the crankshaft pulley and flywheel. I used the tool made up for removing the rear hub nut to remove the gland nut.

Now I had the engine stripped down as far as I really wanted to go, the crankshaft endfloat was not excessive and the sideplay in the con-rods was ok so I started to clean up the crankcase and give it a coat of high-temp paint.

That done I replaced the crankshaft oil seal and the o-ring, refitted the (now clean) flywheel using a new glandnut.

The barrels were in superb condition and looking back through the service documents I found that they had been replaced in 1993, the mileage was recorded as 18660 but I think it must be 118660, the last MOT carried out on 20 May 1997 recorded 28779 which means it had only done 10000 in 4 years. The pistons were replaced at the same time so there was not much work to do there though I replaced the piston rings while I was there.

Now everything was clean and painted I started to rebuild, replacing damaged or corroded nuts and bolts as I went. I fitted a new pair of unleaded heads as one of the original heads had a very small crack between the valve seats and I wanted to be able to use unleaded fuel in the future, it also means that (costs permitting) I will have the old heads repaired and have new (unleaded) seats and guides installed so that I have got a spare set of heads.

This is what it looked like after it had been removed and the ancillaries removed.

The tool I made up from a piece of scaffold pole and a piece of 1/4" plate. The flywheel is bolted to the plate with three bolts and the scaffold pole is bolted to the workshop floor with some rawlbolts.

The crankshaft oil seal being fitted with the JustKampers tool and the old gland nut. Don't attempt to fit it without the tool, it is a large diameter seal and MUST be fitted straight. Note that the flywheel 'o' ring is fitted BEFORE the oil seal.

And there we go, nice new seal.

Barrels and pistons fitted...well one side anyway.

head fitted, rocker shaft and pushrods.