Photograph restoration

The wiring loom

The entire wiring system was removed from Spooky to make the repairs easier. Also, when doing the repairs underneath, particularly in the centre section it was found that the large conduit that carries the loom from the front cross-member to the rear cross-member was badly corroded. This was due to the faxt that it is open at each end allowing moisture to enter.

After removing the dashboard and all associated switches I removed the looms from the front. I carefully labelled each cable connector and where possible left the actual switch connected to the loom.

With the looms removed I could then safely carry out grinding and welding without the fear of damaging the wiring.

The main fron/rear loom was then carefully removed from the vehicle. There are a lot of connectors all bunched together at the end and to save them and their labels being damaged I put a plastic bag over the end and tie-wrapped it on to the loom. Every time I removed a connector from something I labelled it and made a note in a notebook. I cannot stress the importance of this enough as when it cam to re-connecting everything the notes and labels were invaluable. The consequence was that when a battery was attached for the first time everything worked.

As I remember there are a number of smaller looms as well as the main one: headlights/indicators. dashboard/fusebox and the engine bay loom.

With the looms removed I could then clean and inspect them and if required replace cables, connectors etc and provide a better protection to the loom by applying addition insulation using self-amalgamating tape.

In conjunction with the repairs to the looms I serviced the start motor and generator and any other electical units that were removed.

Once all structural repairs were complete and the loom conduit replaced with a piece of 1" copper tube I refitted the main loom carefully clipping it down in the appropriate places. Once I was happy that it was in the correct position I went about connecting the fuse box back up. When I was happy that the loom did not need to be moved anymore I sealed the ends of the conduit to prevent moisture ingress.

Once all electrical units, switches etc were connected I put a battery on the system, first making sure that all switches were in the OFF position. Then I tested each system in turn ending with the start motor. Once I was happy with that the battery was disconnected and final test carried out once the engine was fitted.